Friday, February 06, 2009

o'erwhelm'd

No, I'm not dead – I just feel that way, or that I'd be getting more rest if I were deceased. A houseful of sick people, including me, including the cat; job candidates flying in for the last few weeks, eating up the few days I like to devote to non-teaching work; two essays to write, & a conference paper staring me down like a fast-approaching train. Oh yes, & I chose this week to teach both Molloy & The Sound and the Fury. (NB: I am one of those dullards, alas, who has to reread a book before I can muster the courage to go in front of a class & talk about it, even if it's a book I've read a half-dozen times. So heavy reading.)

Soldiering on. Books to be added to the "100 poem-books" thread pile up in my notebooks.

Last night perhaps the coldest on record in South Florida. Yes, that's a heat wave to folks in Ithaca or South Bend, but it's got me huddling under the comforters & quilts & turning up the heat.

2 comments:

Norman Finkelstein said...

If it makes you feel any better, Mark, I have to reread every book I teach too. Like today, when I start The Sun Also Rises.

See you in Louisville!

zimdog said...

I know it's no consolation for an honest man such as yourself, but as one cynic safely shuffled past the diploma line, I would be willing to bet that most of your students re-read those books negative-one times.