Tuesday, September 06, 2005

First Grandmother Fears Immigrant Invasion of Texas

On NPR's "Marketplace," Barbara Bush gushes over how well things have worked out for those po' folk from New Orleans; don't get any ideas about staying, tho....

Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to Houston. What I’m hearing which is sort of scary is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this – this [chuckles slightly] is working very well for them.

1 comment:

Lee said...

You know, I can't remember where I read or heard this, but apparently Marjorie Perloff--who knew G.H.W. and Babs way back in the day--went on record saying she'd always thought they were awful parents. Recalling, I believe, a time when the kids were still disasters waiting to happen.

This whole thing is infuriating. I grew up in a city (Seattle) that is vulnerable to catastrophe of similar scale from two fronts: either a major earthquake or a big, carefully aimed eruption from Mt. St. Helens or Rainier. And there's no good way of predicting those things or evacuating beforehand. I can't even imagine what would happen if the feds responded with this kind of ineptitude.